There's no doubt that Australia's East Coast is absolute paradise. There are loads of cheap and free things to do in Australia - from markets to live music, free comedy gigs to amazing walking trails, cheap ferry rides and cheap eats! And let's be honest - who doesn't want to explore the best of what Australia has on offer for less than a price of a box of goon? So here it is, a list of our top 101 things to do along Australia's East coastline for $10 or less.
1. Stroll through the graffiti lined, inner city laneways (see our guide to Melbourne's best grafitti laneways here)
2. Spot for Penguins at St Kilda Pier
3. Get a taste of Melbourne's CBD by jumping on the FREE City Circle Tram
4. Take a free city walking tour, departing from the Sir Redmond Barry Statue at the State Library of Victoria at 10:30am & 2:30pm daily
5. Grab a few beers and have a BBQ at the Royal Botanic Gardens
6. Hire a bike from one of Melbourne's 51 bike stations and explore the St Kilda foreshore & Brighton Bathing Boxes
7. Head to Chinatown for a cheap feed (you can BYO Booze too)!
8. Pick up some souvenirs or a cheap feed at the Queen Victoria Market - you can also check out the Winter Night Market on Wednesday nights!
9. Jump on a tram to St Kilda - Melbourne's funky beach side suburb
10. Have a beer at any of Melbourne's rooftop bars - our favs - Rooftop Bar, Madame Brussels, Campari House & Carlton Club
11. Explore the hipster northern suburbs by foot or tram - Brunswick and Fitzroy
12. Check out one of the free films or exhibitions at the Australia Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) at Federation Square
13. Take a tram to Chapel Street in South Yarra and taste test yummy goodies at Prahran Market and explore Melbourne's best street of shopping
14. Check out some Aboriginal artwork at the Ian Potter Centre
15. Take a free tour of the Parliament of Victoria
16. Free Wi-Fi hot spots: Federation Square, Flinders St Station, City Library, State Library of Victoria, Queen Victoria Building, Melbourne Airport, Melbourne Museum & Melbourne Visitor Centre
48. Check out Brisbane's up and coming indie bands for FREE every Friday at Green Jam Sessions - hosted at the outdoor amphitheater at Melbourne St Green from 5:30pm
49. Explore the alternative shops and cafes in Westend
50. Go for a swim in Brisbane's inner city lagoon
51. Take the Red City Hopper Ferry for free around Brisbane's River
52. Chill in the Botanical Gardens
53. Window shop in Brisbane's hipster suburb Fortitude Valley
54. Hire a bike and cycle the New Farm River Walk
55. Enjoy free entry to the Museum of Modern Art in Southbank and check out the many art exhibitions including film, cinema, sculptures, digital media & more
56. Eat Street Markets in Eagle Farm is our favourite. The stalls are set up in shipping containers and you will find anything and everything here! Open Friday evening, Saturday & Sunday all year round
57. Enjoy free comedy at "Knockoff" at Brisbane's Powerhouse every Friday at 6pm
58. Find all sorts at the Queensland Museum including Aboriginal history and culture
59. Free Films at the State Library. On most Sundays
60. Check out the Southbank Markets for International Food, Fashion, Art & Entertainment
61. Go for a drive to Lamington National Park
62. Walk to the top of the Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens. Just a 15 minute bus journey from Brisbane CBD and home to acres of sub tropical gardens.
Free Wi – Fi Spots: Gallery of Modern Art, State Library